Monday, June 15, 2009

Any difference?

I was sitting at the chennai airport waiting for my flight to Dubai and to Houston from there.
Watching people is my favourite pass time, if I do not have a worthy book with me. The port was buzzing with people at 2 am. Different kinds - interesting, bored, tired, irritated, happy,not bothered ..... Mostly Indians, with a few foreigners (people mostly gaping at them). My second trip abroad - so I had my feet down. A kid smiling at me; a guy with a mask (swine flue on the go!); An elderly couple sleeping; Newly weds talking; Something out of the place caught my attention - Two young girls - Must be around 13 years of age, came and sat besides me. From their appearances I could guess they were from the lower strata of the society. Curious, I asked them where they were going? They said - "akka we are going to work in America!" . I was shocked - Before I could ask more I saw a lady with two infants coming over to them and stated bossing them around to go on. My questions were answered - You don't get maids in US even if you pay them half your salary.
What pained me was the innocence and excitement I saw in the girl's eyes. Dressed up in good clothes (for what she had seen) ; with good food and going in a plane?? She must consider it a luck of her lifetime- little does she know what she is missing and where she is going! God lets some people live without knowing that there are so many other doors. I could not take my eyes off her till she left the lounge. Then I thought ... how different are we the IT professionals? Going abroad is a dream for many. But what are we doing there. Working for someone, something and a growth of some nation which is tightening its laws everyday to not let us come inside. Accepted are the global exposure and money one makes outside - not to forget the BSE points we add. But looking at it from a holistic point of view...Am I loosing rather than gaining? I could not answer the question , but now I could relate so much with that girl.

2 comments:

Tanaya said...

Hey after a long time!!!! We ofcourse are like those little girls only..just a bit of sophistication in our labour!!!
Nice refelection.....waiting for more posts :)

Shivi said...

Bingo on that thought! You are not at all wrong, but that s the way it works for most of the s/w engg. People who haven't been through it are waiting to enter and people who are going/gone thru are looking for an exit :D