Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Honk'O'Mania


Too much of noise pollution these days.Fearing that I would go hard of hearing soon, I have stopped listening to FM . That is a brain polluting activity as well. Sometimes I'm happy to realize that there are people who blabber worse than I do. I really am flummoxed as to how the RJ's can come up with such completely idiotic things - Kittu mama..Susie ..mami... tell me how your love life sucks... how to catch a rat??!!.. express you love (for God sake do it to the person you love)..Absolute nonsense and you endure all this only to hear the song that is again played for the nth time from morning...

So I decided that I will have a peaceful journey of 2 and half hours back home without any disturbance and try to sleep off my tiredness of eating, sleeping, blogging and doing nothing at office. As change is inevitable we had a new driver for our bus. The first day was a Friday and the traffic was at its peak and he kept honking all the way. One good thing is, his performance was better and he cut down the effort(travel time) by half an hour. I was pretty contented. But then the story continued and the honking levels used to irritate me to the core - And that used to transmitted diligently to my parents after reaching home!

One fine day rather a bad day - I wanted to understand the logic behind his honking (after all every action should have a reason) and sat right behind him.
There were vehicles that were moving pretty slowly.. he honked at them ... ok fine...
Then there were traffic jams and he honked... I was wondering what his intention was - should the vehicle in the front climb on the bumper of the one before it?
At traffic signals when there was a glaring red light, what would the poor souls in front do if our man honks?
I literally went nuts when he honked whilst he was the first at a signal (red again). Whom was he honking at? the traffic lights??
Then he tried overtaking the big 6 wheeler on the pavement where I would not even dream of pulling over a Maruti 800 and honked at a poor old man on a bicycle and scared the sh*t out of him. I still remember the mixed reaction on his face - perplexed, scared and angry. At one point of time the old man jumped down the cycle and almost merged into the walls to let this guy pass by.
It was when he honked at nothingness - yeah there was no one on the roads, a clear road till where I could see - AND HE HONKED!! - I gave up trying to find a reason.
Now I shifted my focus from the roads to our guy - It was then that I realized that there was a core technical flaw. Usually you have your hands on the steering and move it over to the horn when you want to. This guy had it permanently on the horn and moved to away intermittently to the steering. Wondering where his other hand was? Adjusting his Rajini hair style every now and then. He was perennially restless and with his hands and legs moving all the time, other than honking and yelling or muttering at people on the roads. Ok now I decided upon a reason - he was a Honk'o'Maniac.. Poor me could not think of anything else!
Looks like I was staring at him quite sometime simply because he was peculiar and our guy caught me and gave me a big smile ..oops I had no such intentions, I'm committed!
Just to make things clear while getting down I told him -

"Anna ippadi horn adichu tensiona ottineengana BP varum" ("Brother, If you keep honking like this Blood pressure would raise")
- He said -
"Ennakku BP lam varadhumma" ("I will not get hypertension")
- I said -
"Engalukku sonnen".. ("We definitely will...")

Whats the use .. the story continues, but I make it a point to sit way back in the bus!

1 comment:

Indhu said...

Rightly blogged.. even I have had many similar experiences. Got irritated with head aches. The only lesson I have learnt is to not sit in the seats very next to the drivers and atleast 5 to 6 rows far from them.